(people asked me to make a rebloggable version, so here it is)
Michele Bachmann announced her candidacy for president last night at CNN’s Republican Debate. Here is just a sampling of some of her most hurtful and ill-informed statements:
1. DYSFUNCTION AND DISORDERED: “I am not here bashing people who are homosexuals, who are lesbians, who are bisexual, who are transgendered. We need to have profound compassion for the people who are dealing with the very real issue of sexual dysfunction in their life, and sexual identity disorders. This is a very real issue. It’s not funny, it’s sad.”
2. ENSLAVEMENT: “Why is it so dangerous? It leads to the personal enslavement of individuals. Because if you’re involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, it’s bondage. Personal bondage, personal despair, and personal enslavement. And that’s why this is so dangerous.”
3. CHILD ABUSE: “This message could be very easily misunderstood. Who is he speaking to — 8 year old boys? And so you have a teacher talking about his gayness. He goes home then, and says ‘Hey mom, what’s gayness? We had a teacher talking about this today.’ The mother says, ‘Well, that’s when a man likes other men and they don’t like girls.’ The boy’s 8, he’s thinking, ‘I don’t like girls. I like boys. Maybe I’m gay.’ And you think, that’s way out there. Kid isn’t gonna think that. Are you kidding? That happens all the time. You don’t think that’s intentional, the message that’s being given to these kids? That’s child abuse.”
4. HEALTH HAZARD?: THINKPROGRESS: Do you agree that homosexuality is a public health hazard like smoking? BACHMANN: “Um. I — I don’t have an answer on that. I don’t have an answer. Why don’t I have another question?”
5. GOD SAID SO: “And I took a walk and I just went to prayer and I said Lord, what would you have me do in the Minnesota state Senate? And just through prayer I knew that I was to introduce the marriage amendment in Minnesota.”
6. WAR ON MARRIAGE: On President Obama not defending DOMA: “This is just the beginning in our fight to repeal Barack Obama in 2012. Had Barack Obama been on the ballot in 2010, he would have gone down in a fiery defeat. Yet he continues to push his far-left, socialist agenda on the American people. And today, he has declared war on marriage. I will continue to do everything in my power to fight back against Barack Obama’s attacks on marriage and I hope you will join me by adding your name to my ‘Support Traditional Marriage’ petition.”
7. AN EARTHQUAKE: “This is an earthquake issue. This will change our state forever. Because the immediate consequence, if gay marriage goes through, is that K-12 little children will be forced to learn that homosexuality is normal, natural, and perhaps they should try it.”
8. DADT: “I would keep the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy.”
9. ENDA: On the Employment Non-Discrimination Act: “No.”
10. IN THE BUSHES: Not a statement, but Bachmann once spied on a gay rights rally, hiding behind some bushes.
this is from an article you can find here.
you should also look at this.
In short, I think she’s fucking ridiculous and she is endangering my civil rights and so much more and it scares the hell out of me that this woman has any sort of support base.